Sunday, July 08, 2007

SVN

I have been using Subversion lately to commit code to my project and to checkout code from various other open source projects.

A few days ago, to my surprise, the proxy server of our university was giving 403 (access forbidden) error for any svn requests I made (subversion is mostly referred to as svn). Initially I thought it was due to something else but yesterday when I tried only svn, I got the same response and more over the internet connection was blocked for about half an hour. Completely baffled by this (I mean WTF right?), I put this as the status message of my chats:

When did svn become illegal?!


This conversation followed it shortly:

7:21 PM (h@!tu: wht is this??
u thr??
7:22 PM saideeeep...
sleepin??
7:23 PM me: yeah
not sleeping
what is what?
(h@!tu: istatus??
status??
me: what about my status?
7:24 PM (h@!tu: emiti adhi?? (translation: what is that?)
me: google for svn... or look in wikipedia
(h@!tu: k
7:25 PM lol
me: whats funny?
(h@!tu: so wht is this i thought??
hahha
7:26 PM me: what did you think it was?
(h@!tu: my name became illegal..
me: hahaha :D

Disclosure: His full name is SVN. Chaitanya.

As I soon found out, svn can mean a lot of things: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SVN

No comments: